The Royal Navy is closely associated with innovation in STEM: engineering and technology – including industrialisation through dockyards, pioneering work around navigation, and the development of aviation. The ships, boats, aircraft, submarines, and collections of the National Museum of the Royal Navy tell this story in a visual, tangible and practical way. This means we are ideally placed to deliver a broad learning and engagement programme.
Here are just some of the STEM activities we deliver, in addition to the stories told in our galleries that showcase the Royal Navy’s technological ingenuity:
- Minecraft challenges
- Robotic Rats – a “rats eye” view of our ships for visitors to access remotely
- Astronavigation and space law experiences with the University of Portsmouth
- Engineering days delivered in conjunction with industry partners
- “How to build an aircraft” sessions
- STEM trolleys and classrooms
- STEM family trails around our sites
- October Half Term "Science Tricks and Treats" shows running throughout the day at the Fleet Air Arm Museum
The business community have the opportunity to join our STEM programme as either Sponsors or Co-Sponsors. In return, we can offer brand awareness featuring your company on STEM programme materials, the chance for your staff, graduates and apprentices to be actively involved with NMRN’s STEM programme, plus, the ability to promote your career, apprenticeship and graduate opportunities to the young people engaging in the STEM programme.