Terms and Conditions
“NMRN” refers to The National Museum of The Royal Navy.
“Attractions” refers to all attractions owned and managed by The National Museum of the Royal Navy located within the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and on other sites across the nation, but which are included in the sale of the Full Navy Ticket or variable attraction tickets.
“Product” shall mean a product displayed for sale on this website.
“Summer” and “Winter” mean the seasons of operation, the dates of which can be found on the relevant Plan Your Visit page.
We/us” means The National Museum of the Royal Navy.
“Website” refers to the website located at www.nmrn.org.uk or any subsequent URL which may replace it.
“You” means a user of this website.
“PHD” refers to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, which is operated by the National Museum of the Royal Navy operations on behalf of the following:
- National Museum of the Royal Navy, registered charity number 1126283
- Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust, registered charity number 293188
- Warrior Preservation Trust Limited, registered charity number 256756
- HMS Victory Preservation Company, registered charity number 1146376
The use of this website is subject to the following terms:
The content on the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
All trademarks reproduced in this website, which are not the property of, or licensed to the operator, are acknowledged on the website.
Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
From time to time, this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
The National Museum of the Royal Navy (NMRN) is committed to protecting its intellectual property rights (IPR) and respecting the IPR of others wherever possible. NMRN has made every reasonable effort to ensure copyright and other IPR are not infringed within material on this website or within a publication or broadcast that includes material provided by NMRN and that sensitive personal data or content that may be deemed obscene or defamatory is not published.
- You believe that the material may be either subject to infringement of your intellectual property or other rights
- Or you believe that the material may be subject to a third party ownership or other legal claim
Please send NMRN the following information by e-mail at: email@example.com or by post at: Rights, Collections & Research, National Museum of the Royal Navy, HM Naval Base (PP66), Portsmouth, PO1 3NH:
- Your contact details (name, organisation, e-mail address, telephone number)
- Full details of the material (include image/publication title, exact and full item url)
- Reason for requesting withdrawal (if copyright related please provide evidence that you are the rights holder and/or authorised representative)
- State the reason for your request – this may include copyright law, , defamation, obscenity etc.
The National Museum of the Royal Navy (NMRN) will undertake the following upon receipt of a withdrawal request:
- NMRN will acknowledge receipt of your request within 5 working days by e-mail or letter;
- NMRN will temporarily withdraw the respective material subject to further investigation, which will occur within 10 working days of receipt;
- NMRN will work with the requester to find a solution to the issue, if one cannot be achieved the material will remain off line permanently.
If the request is unproven, NMRN will re-instate the respective material.
Please read these terms carefully before placing your order.
1. General information
· All proceeds from ticket and merchandise sales are used to support our charitable purposes, which include promoting and assisting in the display, understanding and enjoyment by the public of our collections as well as the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth.
· Additional Gift Aid revenue from the government is split between the charitable trusts that make up the PHD site.
· Ultimate Explorer tickets and relevant 3 Attraction and 1 Attraction tickets purchased now include the use of a waterbus which operates between The Royal Navy Submarine Museum and Explosion Museum in Gosport, and Portsmouth Harbour. The waterbus has limited capacity and is operated on a first come first served basis and is therefore subject to availability. We reserve the right to cancel or to update the operating schedule at any time.
· Some attractions have partial disabled access.
· We regret that with the exception of assistance and guide pets, animals are not permitted on site.
· No professional photography/videography equipment is permitted onsite without prior arrangement with our media team.
2. Opening times
· All attractions and entertainments are subject to availability. Please ensure you have checked the relevant Plan Your Visit page before your visit to confirm attraction availability and are aware of any closures.
· We reserve the right to change opening times, prices, validity of ticket duration and availability of all attractions without notice. Please see individual attraction opening times for related information about accessibility and the attractions differing opening and closing times.
· Site opening times are 10am to 5.30pm during Summer months and 10am to 5pm during Winter months, 7 days a week excluding certain dates and as per restrictions below. Off-site attraction opening times differ. Please see the relevant Plan Your Visit page for full details.
· The waterbus operates between 10am to 4pm daily during Summer, unless weather or other operational restrictions apply. During Winter, the waterbus operates under a restricted service, weekends only and subject to weather or other operational restriction.
· The Royal Navy Submarine Museum, included as part of an Ultimate Explorer Ticket, is open from 10am to 4.30pm Wednesday to Sunday (except for Hampshire school holidays and half terms).
· Explosion Museum, included in a Ultimate Explorer Ticket, and is open daily from 10am to 5pm during Summer. It is open Saturday and Sunday only 11am to 3pm, during Winter (last admission to the galleries at 2pm).
· Royal Marines Museum - Please note that the public galleries are now closed as we continue to facilitate a move to new premises in the Dockyard.
3. Ticket terms and conditions· An Ultimate Explorer, Three Attraction, and One Attraction ticket options to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard gives 12 months unlimited access from the first visit date printed on the ticket to all attractions excluding special events.
· Tickets to our other NMRN sites; Fleet Air Arm Museum, HMS Caroline and National Museum Royal Navy Hartlepool are valid all year. Annual tickets do not include entry to special events.
· We operate a policy of no refunds or exchanges for tickets bought at admissions or booked online.
· All prices are inclusive of VAT at the current rates and are correct at the time of entering information onto the system.
· We reserve the right to change prices at any time.
· An Ultimate Explorer Ticket and variable attraction tickets are not valid for any special events taking place at the attractions or within Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. Please see our events page for upcoming events.
· Tickets do not include entry to Laser Quest or Mini Ports. Additional Charges apply.
· Gift aided tickets are subject to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) regulations and are therefore not eligible for a refund.
· Lost tickets cannot be replaced under any circumstances.
· Original tickets only - photocopies or laminated tickets will not be accepted.
· Tickets must not be sold or resold and are non-transferrable. You may be asked for ID to match your ticket name, if you are unable to provide matching ID, we reserve the right to refuse entry.
· Tickets must not be laminated.
· We are unable to provide extensions on any tickets.
· Tickets are non-transferrable and you may be asked for ID to match your ticket name, if you are unable to provide matching ID, we reserve the right to refuse entry. The name on the email confirmation does not matter (for example if you purchased as a gift) as you will sign your tickets on your first visit.
· The management reserves the right to refuse entry, if for any reason they deem there is a risk to the site, the attractions and the public or staff on site.
· Improper use of the ticket will result in confiscation and a request for payment for admission.
· Admission for children under 3 is free. Under 16’s must be accompanied by adult due to the ages and height restrictions at some of the attractions on site.
· Tickets are sold online all day, or between 10am - 4:30pm (Summer) and 10am - 4pm (Winter) from the Visitor Centre. Tickets cannot be pre-booked on the date of visit.
· Event tickets for certain events, concessionary rates are available for Seniors (60+) and students (ID may be required). Check individual Events for prices.
· Tickets for the Victorian Festival of Christmas are only valid for the day of purchase and do NOT allow entry on any other date and for any other attraction.
· Ultimate Explorer Ticket cannot only be used on educational visits for home schooled families.
· Tickets not subject to national lockdown closures are not applicable for extensions once their validity has expired4. Promotions
· All vouchers/tickets and offers must be redeemed in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard’s Visitor Centre before the expiry date shown.
· Ticket is valid for one-year unlimited entry (excluding special event days) from date of exchange and can only be used for the attractions highlighted on the ticket.
· Promotional offers and vouchers cannot be combined or used in conjunction with any other offers.
· Tickets cannot be exchanged and are non-transferable and can only be redeemed by the named winner or voucher holder.
· Vouchers cannot be redeemed online or over the phone.
· Promotional offers and vouchers cannot be sold or re-sold.
· Promotional offers or voucher that has been lost or stolen, cannot be replaced under any circumstances.
· Promotional offers and vouchers. cannot be used against special event tickets or Loyalty Club tickets.5. Complaints
If in the event of any complaints, please direct enquiries to Customer Complaints, The National Museum of the Royal Navy, Visitor Centre, Victory Gate, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth, PO1 3LJ or call 023 9283 9766.
6. Data policy
7. Website terms and conditions
8. Product information
Prices are subject to change without notice and inclusive of value added tax (VAT) at the current rates. Products are subject to availability. As there is a delay between the time when the order is placed and the time when the order is accepted, the stock position relating to particular items may change. If an item you have ordered becomes out of stock before we accept your order, we shall notify you as soon as possible.
9. Purchase of tickets
When you place an order on our website we will email you an acknowledgement of your intended order. At the time of purchase of the order the purchase contract will be made and you will be charged. Any discounts triggered by the entry of a promotional code will not be applied until the order is accepted but will be detailed on the invoice. We reserve the right to reject any offer to purchase by you at any time in our sole discretion. However, non-acceptance of an order is most likely to result from one of the following: the product ordered being unavailable from stock; our inability to obtain authorisation of payment; the identification of an error within the product information including price or promotion. If there are any problems with your order we shall contact you.
All prices are inclusive of VAT at the current rates and are correct at the time of entering information onto the system. All cardholders may be subject to validation checks and authorisation by the card issuer. If the issuer of your payment card refuses to or does not, for any reason, authorise payment to us, we will not be liable for any delay or non-delivery. We do not accept payment by cheque, cash or postal orders. Processing is reserved against your card at the time the order is placed, but will not be charged until the order is dispatched. If for some reason a purchase fails, due to problems with payment details, we will attempt to contact you by phone or email within one working day. Once your order has left our warehouse we will send you an email to confirm that your order is on its way.
12. Third party links
Certain links on this site may lead to websites that are not under our control. When you activate any of these you will leave our website and we shall not be liable to you in any way whatsoever in respect of the privacy practices, for the content of such site or otherwise.
13. Intellectual property
You agree that all copyrights, trademarks and all other intellectual property rights in the material and content of this website shall remain vested in us or our licensees. You acknowledge and confirm that the material and content contained within the website is made available for your personal non-commercial use only and that you may (if necessary to make a purchase) download such material and content onto only one computer hard drive for such purpose. Any other use of the material and content of this website is strictly prohibited.
14. Limitation of liability
Notwithstanding our reasonable endeavours to verify the accuracy of the information appearing on this website, we make no express or implied warranties in relation to its accuracy. Our liability to you in the event of our breach of any of these terms and conditions shall be limited to refunding any money you may have already paid for product that you have not received or that you have returned within the agreed time scales and in the required condition. So far as the law allows, we shall not be liable to you for any other loss or damage whatsoever. Your statutory rights as a consumer and your cancellation rights are not affected by these terms and conditions. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall exclude or limit our liability for death or personal injury resulting from our negligence or that of our employees or agents.
Any delay or failure on our part to exercise our rights under these terms and conditions shall not be construed as a waiver of any prior or subsequent breach by you of any provision.
16. Governing law
The laws of England shall govern the contract between us and any dispute between us will be resolved exclusively in the courts of England.
The below document outlines our complaints process which is intended to ensure that all complaints regardless of how received (i.e. verbally or digital etc.) are handled fairly, consistently and where possible resolved to the complainant’s satisfaction. This policy must be followed for all complaints relevant to NMRN.
Please see the Admissions Refund Policy Document below