News & Events
You are hereHome › News & Events
NMRN Blog - Latest Post
- Thursday, 23 March 2017 - 4:02pm
- Monday, 6 March 2017 - 3:06pmSixteen women from Belfast and Northern Ireland are to feature in a new HLF funded documentary which explores their roles in the Royal Navy from the 1940s to the 1990s. The film, produced by the HMS Caroline’s curatorial and community engagement teams, will be one of the first recorded oral histories to be collected for an archive being established by the ship’s owners, the National Museum of the Royal Navy.
CommentsRelated feature: HMS Caroline
- Wednesday, 22 February 2017 - 3:42pm
As part of the annual celebration of English Tourism, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard is going 'all in' to help local residents to discover the delights on their doorstep and to encourage new visitors to come and explore our treasures.
- Friday, 17 February 2017 - 12:30pm
By Alan Bush, Jutland Volunteer.
Originally planned as part of the Jutland Commemorations in the long daylight hours of last summer, the re-scheduled ‘Jutland: The Big Debate’ was held on a dark, blustery Thursday evening this 2nd February bringing together historical experts, members of the public and a virtual audience from all over the world.
- Monday, 13 February 2017 - 10:49amJust after midnight on 26 August 1914, German light cruiser SMS Magdeburg ran aground in the Baltic. The crew setting off scuttling charges faced a brief engagement with the Russian Navy. The ship was seized and her destruction complete. From the ship the Russians recovered all three copies of her code book, one of which was received by the Admiralty with gratitude. With this book came the facility to ambush the Germans many times during the war, including at the Battle of Jutland.
- Tuesday, 7 February 2017 - 4:09pmThe National Museum of the Royal Navy has announced that the closure of the main galleries of the Royal Marines Museum will take place on April 1st.
- 1 of 24
- next ›