46 (RM) Commando carving

46 (RM) Commando were raised during the Second World War, as one of nine Royal Marine Commando units.  They landed for Operations in Normandy in 1944 and saw action across North West Europe during the rest of that year and in 1945, crossing the River Rhine during March 1945. The unit was disbanded in 1946 and a Regimental association was subsequently formed.
 
The carving depicts two Royal Marines Commandos as equipped during the Second World War.  It was carved by a Marine from the unit, and member of the Regimental association, Corporal Eric Taylor on the 40th anniversary of the Normandy landings in 1984.  That year it was presented by the Association to General Sir Campbell Hardy – General Hardy had been their much respected Commanding Officer during the War.
 

Royal Marines Museum